Saturday, January 21, 2012

Sad News

I lost my Dad this week.  He was 91 and a wonderful father and a kind and compassionate ophthalmologist.  


He had been failing for the last year and a half.  I went to spend some time with him last March and again in July.  We will be gathering in Philadelphia this week for his memorial service and celebrate the life of a man who brought so much love and happiness to so many people. 


On a personal note, he, more than any other person, shaped my life and helped me to become the husband, father, grandfather, and teacher that I have been.  I remember our great discussions about politics, life philosophy, and other engaging subjects around the dinner table when I was young.  Because of him, I received a fine education and was able to experience many interesting things.  I once asked him how I could ever pay him back, he told me that in life, we just pass it on, to our children.  Good advice, as usual.  


There is now a big hole in our family which he filled so well for many years.  We will all miss him and treasure our memories of his humor, his interest in clear thinking, and in his love for his family.  


Below he is pictured with his two sisters, Alice, now 93, and Mary, now 95.







No comments: